I’m currently one week away from FINISHING MY SOPHOMORE YEAR OF COLLEGE!!!! I’m almost HALF WAY through! I’ve developed quite the routine for after finals and I thought I would share. Here are five things you MUST do when you’re done taking those tests:
1. Say thank you. I always make a point to sit down and email each professor, thanking them for their time and effort they put into the class. Usually, it goes a little something like this:
“Hi Professor _______,
My name is _________ and I was a student in your _________ class. I wanted to reach out and say thank you. I really enjoyed your class and it’s content, especially when we discussed _________! I appreciate the time you put into our class and your lectures. I hope to take another one of your classes in the future!
I hope you have a great summer, and thank you again!”
Obviously, if you didn’t get along so well with a professor, don’t send this. But even if you barely spoke to him/her (or maybe not at all), teachers appreciate their students reaching out and acknowledging their work. It’s the best feeling to hear that you’re doing a great job, no matter who you are and where you work!
2. Empty your backpack. It’s the BEST feeling to sit down and empty out my school book bag. Usually, if the class is one that’s in my major, I’ll save the notes, but otherwise, it’s gone! It’s thrown out! I take a wipe and quickly wipe down the insides and pockets too; I don’t know how many times I’ve found pieces of wrapped gum squished at the bottom of my books or a pack of gummies hiding in a pocket! I also test all of my pens and highlighters in my pencil case. If they work, I put them in my cup on my desk, and if they don’t, I toss them in the trash. This is sometimes a tedious process, but you’ll feel SO relieved when you’re done!
3. Return textbooks. We’re already broke college students, so we don’t need pesky late fees tacked on to our long list of things to pay for/buy. Try to return your textbooks BEFORE your school deadline so you’re not stuck in a long line on the last day!
4. Treat yoself. A manicure, a new hair style, a new workout class, a walk in the park, custom design for your blog…whatever it is, spend some time (and maybe some money) on yourself! You deserve it.
5. Hug your mama. Or your dad. Or grandma. Whoever it is, spend some time with family when you’re done. I know I’m going to soak up every second I have with my family when I’m done with school because its been 497 years since I hung out with everybody. Phones away, too. Disconnect and love the people who have loved you through this school year (and your breakdowns, let’s be real here).
Do you have a routine for after finals? What’s the first thing you do when you’re done? Let me know!