HEY ITS WEDNESDAY!! Half-through the week!!!! I just got back from
almost sorta slowly dying out in the middle of nowhere backpacking with my dude and it was terrible.
Kidding! Totally kidding.
Look at how cute and mountainy he is. What you can’t see is how smelly he was. Seriously. We decided deodorant wasn’t worth the weight and boy, was that a mistake. TMI?
We parked my car off of the side of the road – sketchy, yes – and started our hike on Sunday. We got very lost for
4327 years a little under two hours because no trail markers (seriously nature trail people WHY) and that sucked because we were basically just walking around in a huge circle. I think we just loved wearing our very heavy backpacks so much that we decided to throw in some more trekking fun!!!
Have you ever had freeze dried food? Y’all, it is seriously so good. I’m not kidding. The first night, we had chili with beef and beans. Very warm and very outdoorsy. I really felt like a pro backpacker. The next morning we had eggs, sausage, hash browns, and veggies, all from a little blue bag like you see up above!! All you do is boil some water and pour it in the bag, then seal it, and in 10 minutes you open the bag up and VOILA BAM WAZOO you have some hot and steamy and good food. And we had Teriyaki Chicken for dinner on our last night as well. When we got back from the wilderness we had…guess.
Joking. We had pizza. Duh.
Throughout our hike we saw many many baby waterfalls. Which was good, because we could get fresh pretty beautiful adventurous mountain spring water but bad because I constantly felt like I had to pee. TMI again?
Overall, we had a really good time. I’ve never backpacked before and I never thought I would choose to hike for a million miles, but my hair wasn’t that bad after 3 days and the views were incredible and I think I would recommend backpacking to anyone! Here are a few things I learned:
- Do. Not. Over. Pack. I repeat: DON’T PACK TOO MUCH STUFF! Or you’ll really regret it. I didn’t even bring my fancy real camera (tears shed) because I knew half way through I’d really regret having that thing around my neck.
- Bring deodorant. Just do it. Please. Dry shampoo and actual shower stuff…those things aren’t necessary for small trips at all. And if you’re worried about your hair like I was, just bring a bandana to fold over and use as a headband so no one can tell how nasty it really is. True story. S, bless his sweet heart, said my hair looked incredible the whole time. Uh, okay. And the grass is blue (Norah Jones, anyone?)
- If you’re wondering about clothes, for 3 days I packed a pair of shorts, thermal leggings, a thermal long sleeved shirt, a polyester sweatshirt, a bathing suit, a button down (blue/white checkered in picture above), 3 pairs of undies, hiking shoes, and a sports bra. I learned how to prioritize. And it made me so sad. Only one pair of shoes?!
- What we regret not packing MORE of is food. We packed VERY light in the food department which was a huge mistake because hello hiking all day and hello me because I am hungry 24/7. So I would say pack three meals a day for each day and then maybe one more meal just in case your stomach’s still grumbling after dinner. Which is exactly what happened to us.
I asked S what he learned.
- I don’t know, you can’t just put me on the spot like that.
The prince has spoken.